Wednesday 3 February 2016

A day in the life of a clinical librarian

For those of you who are new to our blog, each month we share what a day in the life of a clinical librarian looks like. This month we're interviewing one of our clinical librarians, Sarah Sutton.




Who are you and where do you work?
Sarah Sutton, University Hospitals of Leicester, Leicester Royal Infirmary.


How long have you been there?
Since 2002, I think I am the longest serving Clinical Librarian in the UK.


What attracted you to Clinical Librarianship?
The opportunity to impact on patient care. So often Librarianship has a very indirect impact on users, it is great to hear from clinical staff what they have done with the information I provide and how this has effected patient care. I did a search on the life expectancy of children with a particular syndrome, as a child with that syndrome needed an operation for another condition and the surgeon was refusing to operate because he believed the child would not live long enough to benefit from it. My research convinced the surgeon that the child would live long enough to benefit from the surgery.


What does an average day at work involve?
I spend a lot of time in front of a computer doing literature searches. I do some outreach into Clinical areas but not as much as I did originally, as after nearly 14 years in my role, I am quite well known and the clinical teams email me their search requests or pop into the library to see me. I also find they recommend me to new colleagues, so even though some clinicians have left the trust during my time, new ones pop in to see me regularly and I meet others at clinical meetings.


If you weren’t a Librarian, what would you be?
I would either be a journalist or work in advertising. I do enjoy marketing things and encouraging people to get the best use out of resources.


Tell us a joke or a non-work fact about yourself
I have  fed and patted a killer whale:



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.